Sunday, May 4, 2008

Going to the movies today

Well, my husband and I are going to go see Forgetting Sarah Marshall--I'll let you know what I think about it when we get back. But for right now, I have to tell you a little bit about Sweeney Todd. First of all, I have to admit that I would watch Johnny Depp in a Taco Bell commercial. Second, I think after watching Ed Wood that he should be the new Gomez Addams in any new Addams Family type of movie (Paul Rudnick, you listening?)--after all, Christina Ricci is old enough to wear her mother's gown by now. And I would pay prize fight pay per view prices to watch them together doing "The Masochism Tango" RIGHT.



Ahem. Sweeney Todd. I have to admit, that during "The Worse Pies in London" I expected that Hell's Kitchen guy to stomp in, raze the place, and spray the remains with live steam. Secondly, I could not help but see the Muppet version in my head with Miss Piggy and the cockroaches as her backup singers and dancers. However, the movie as a whole was an experience that should not be missed. Borat (ok, Sasha Baron Cohen) was marvelous as Pirelli, Helen Bonham Carter was delightfully mad as ever, and that Johnny Depp was gloriously obsessed as the Vengeful Barber (and it was wrong, wrong of me to hear and see bits of "The Rabbit of Seville" in some of the scenes). However, to me at least, Alan Rickman and his minion Peter Spall (who was also very good as a Minion in Enchanted--some people are just natural Wormtails, y'know?) stole the show. Especially Mr. Rickman. They practically showed him kicking puppies and ripping pages out of Bibles to show how Evil he was, but if I'd been around at that place and time, he wouldn't have been worried about some little chickie-boom who was clearly in love with someone else. (fans self vigorously) Bad of me, I know...



There are some scenes that I really, really liked--the bit in the insane asylum that demonstrated When Blondes Attack, for one. The little boy who was nursed on Mother's Ruin, and how very much he loved Mrs. Lovett. The Don Juan routine--"At last I am whole again!" (although I still get flashes of Squiggy dressed as Don Giovanni in that one episode of Laverne & Shirley). Goes off humming "Hamlet, Hamlet, be-e a lamblet"...



It was a good movie and I'm going to buy it on DVD, and put it right next to my copy of Phantom of the Opera. You should, too.

No comments: